Warm Sticky Date Pudding with Cream and Butterscotch Sauce
200g dried dates, stoned and roughly chopped
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g unsalted butter, softened
175g muscovado sugar
2 eggs, beaten
175g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the sauce
100g unsalted butter
120g brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
160ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c, butter a baking dish approximately 24cm x 24cm.
2. To make the sauce put the butter and sugar in a pan, stir over a low heat until the butter has melted, then add the golden syrup and cream to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence.
3. Put the chopped dates in a saucepan with the water and bring to the boil. Cook for 3-5 minutes to soften the dates and then stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
4. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then beat in the eggs, stir in the flour and baking powder. Fold in the date mixture and pour into your buttered baking dish. Put the dish into the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch and remove from the oven.
5. Cut the sticky date into squares and serve with the warm butterscotch sauce, double cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.