For the March Recipe of the Month we present Steamed West Coast Mussels with a Leek and Dijon Sauce. A piquant taste extravaganza for your tongue!
What you will need is:
2kg mussels, cleaned
80g shallots, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
150ml white wine
1 medium leek, cleaned and finely chopped
150ml double cream
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the leeks and cook for 1-2 minutes, until soft.
- Reduce the heat and add the Dijon and whole grain mustard. Then quickly add the mussels, shallots, garlic and white wine into a pan, cover and place over a high heat for 3 minutes, shaking the pan or stirring the mussels occasionally.
- Once the mussels start to open, add the double cream. Cover again and continue cooking for a further 2 minutes or until the cream begins to bubble. Discard any mussels that are still closed.
- Season to taste and give everything a good stir.
- To serve, ladle the mussels into warm bowls, garnish with parsley and serve with fresh crusty bread.