Lobster Thermidor: a sumptuous, gourmet treat from Mussel Inn.
Following on from our seafood masterclass on How to Prepare a Lobster, why not try out the ultimate lobster dish; Lobster Thermidor.
4 cooked and prepared lobsters
25g unsalted butter
80g shallots, finely chopped
1 Bay leaf
1 garlic clove, crushed
150ml white wine
100ml fish stock
Handful of chopped tarragon leaves
150ml double cream
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
200ml béchamel sauce
1 egg, beaten
100g grated gruyere cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter in a pan.
2. Add the shallots, garlic and bay leaf and cook for 1-2 minutes, until soft.
3. Reduce the heat and add the Dijon mustard, white wine and fish stock, reduce this by a 1/3. Then add your bechmel sauce, mix well on a medium heat.
4. Add the beaten egg and cream to the sauce, careful not to boil the sauce.
5. Stir in the Gruyere cheese and chopped tarragon, check and adjust seasoning.
Place the prepared half lobsters on a baking tray, ladle the Thermidor sauce over the lobster meat in in the shells and place under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes until golden and simply garnish with a lemon wedge to serve.
Ordering Lobster Thermidor at Mussel Inn
Lobster Thermidor is available on request at both Mussel Inn restaurants in Glasgow and Edinburgh. However, we do ask that if you or any of your party would like to order it we do need 2 days notice as top quality lobster can sometimes be difficult to obtain. To pre-order your Lobster Thermidor at either of our restaurants please call Edinburgh on 0843 2892 481 or Glasgow on 0843 2892 283. Unfortunately, pre-booking is not available at the Mussel Inn Edinburgh restaurant during August.