Following on from our seafood masterclass on How to Prepare a Scallop, why not try this delicious dish with king scallops.
For the parsnip puree:
3 peeled and diced parsnips
50ml olive oil
1 large parsnip peeled
2 tsp sunflower oil
6 good-sized king scallops in shells
3 chorizo sausages
1 tbsp butter
To Make the Parsnip Puree
1. Simmer the diced carrots in salted water over a medium heat.
2. Once the parsnips are tender – 12 to 14 minutes, drain and place into a food processor.
3. In a medium saucepan add the milk and heat up gently.
4. Blend the Parsnips with the olive oil and add the warm milk slowly, continue to blend until very smooth.
5. Season to taste and set the puree aside until required.
To Make the Parsnip Crisps
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C. Using a peeler, peel long strips from the parsnip and place the strips in a bowl with the sunflower oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
2. Arrange the strips on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, turning them over half way. Once golden and crisp remove from the oven and set aside on kitchen paper.
To Prepare the Chorizo
Remove the skin from the chorizo sausage, slice length ways and cut into small wedges. Place on a baking tray and put under the grill on a low heat. Once they start to colour and release a delicious spicy red oil remove from the heat…keep the oil for garnish later.
To Prepare the Scallops
Heat a large non-stick pan with olive oil until very hot. Put the scallops in the pan and fry them for 1 minute on each side. Add a tbsp of butter and fry for a further 30 seconds, season with salt and pepper.
To Assemble the Dish
Arrange the scallops on top of the parsnip puree in the scallop shells. Then place some of the chorizo sausage on top of the scallops. Drizzle some of the chorizo oil over the scallops. Garnish with the parsnip crisps.