Preparing scallops is a really simple step-by-step process.
2. With a sharp, flexible knife slide the blade between the two shells.
1. Rince the scallop to wash any sand and debris from the shell. Hold the scallop in one hand, with the flat side of the shell facing upwards.
4. Lift off the top of the shell and pull out the frilly ‘skirt’ and black stomach sac that is around the white scallop meat. Rinse away any sand from the inside of the shell.
3. Keeping the blade of the knife tight against the top of the shell, cut through the ligament that joins the scallop meat to the shell.
5. Slide the knife under scallop meat, again keeping the blade close the shell and cut away. Remove the small white ligament on the side of meat.