Succulent fillets of haddock combined with a delicately curried vegetable stew make this a seafood dish with a spicy twist.
1 small onion roughly chopped
1 large chilli finely chopped
25g minced fresh ginger
25g minced fresh garlic
15g madras curry powder
15g cumin seeds
10g caster sugar
800g chopped tomatoes
300ml fish stock
300g potatoes cubed
100g mixed peppers diced
100g courgettes cubed
100ml crème fraiche
4 haddock fillets (undyed and unsmoked)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot drizzle in the oil, sweat off the chopped onion and add the butter. Once the onion is soft add the fresh ginger, chilli and garlic, cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes.
2. Add in a pinch of salt, sugar and the rest of the dry spices and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, bring to the boil then simmer until thick and reduced. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth. Return to the heat and add the fish stock, potatoes, peppers and courgette. Cook for a further 15- 20 mins or until the vegetables are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Check and adjust seasoning.
4. Season your haddock fillets with and cut each fillet into 3 pieces. Brush the pieces with a little olive oil and a little butter, grill for 4-6 minutes.
5. To serve divide your curried vegetable stew between four large bowls and place the fillet pieces on top. Garnish with crème fraiche around and some coriander micro herb on top with lemon.