We have a tradition at Mussel Inn of making gingerbread houses at Christmas time. It’s a tradition that is mostly popular in Europe but our customers here in Scotland can’t get enough of them. We can’t tell you exactly how we build our houses but here’s our gingerbread recipe. Why not have a go yourself!
125g Caster sugar
125mlg Golden syrup
5g Ground cloves
5g Ground cinnamon
5g Bicarbonate of Soda
1. Add the butter, sugar, cream, milk and syrup to a saucepan and heat to 80C, stirring slowly.
2. Add the cloves, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and flour to the mixture and stir in.
3. Pour out onto a floured tray and allow to cool. When the gingerbread is cool, transfer to the fridge and leave overnight.
4. Roll the gingerbread out to 2.5mm and cut into hearts, stars, gingerbread men or just rounds.
5. Place on a papered baking tray and bake in a 200C oven.