Try this very modern spin on steamed mussels with lime juice.
Serves 4 people
- 2kg fresh mussels. Wash thoroughly and remove beards. Discard any broken and any open mussels that do not close when tapped.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 4 banana shallots finely diced
- 1 bulb fresh garlic finely diced
- 1 can of coconut milk 400gr
- 25 gr of fresh grated ginger
- 1 stick of lemon grass crushed
- 2 red chillies finely sliced
- 1 fish stock cube
- 6 leaves of fresh basil chopped
- 4 leaves of fresh basil for garnish
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 250 ml white wine
- 500 ml boiling water, from the kettle will do
- 1 good quality baguette sliced and warmed
You will need a large pot with tight fitting lid and a 2 litre jug
Cooking time 15-20 minutes, preparation time 10 minutes
1. Put your large pot on high heat for around 1 minute then add the garam masala and heat to release the flavour (around 1-2minutes).
2. Add the chillies, ginger, lemon grass and banana shallots, cook for around 2 mins or until the shallots has slightly browned.
3. Mix the stock cube in the boiled water, add the coconut milk and white wine then add all into the large pot and reduce by 1/3.
4. Add in the chopped basil, zest and cleaned mussels put the lid on and cook until all mussels have opened, stirring occasionally.
5. When all mussels have opened add in the lime juice stir and serve in 4 bowls discard any unopened mussels, garnish with basil leaves and enjoy with warmed baguette.